To properly maintain your Subaru Forester, Legacy, Outback,Tribeca, Impreza, WRX or STi you need to change the oil and your Genuine Subaru oil filter regularly. Unless most of the miles you drive are at highway speeds for more than short intervals the oil should be changed every 3,750 miles. Never should you go longer than 7,500 miles between oil changes. Turbo cars should have the oil changed every 3,750 miles unless synthetic motor oil is used.
Starting with the newly redesigned engine in the 2011 Forester, Subaru is requiring that 0W-20 synthetic motor oil be used in the naturally aspirated (not turbo) engine and that 5W-30 synthetic motor oil be used in all 2011 turbocharged engines. There are a number of significant advantages to synthetic motor oils such as:
* Superior protection against oil breakdown for a cleaner running engine and long engine life
* Increased protection against varnishing and deposits
* More tolerant to high heat in turbo-charged engines
* Superior lubrication, reduces engine wear across the operating temperature range and optimizes fuel economy
* Reduces oil loss due to evaporation and burn off
* Low viscosity (0W-20) improves fuel economy, reduces friction and increases power
With the synthetic oil the recommended oil change interval has been increased to 7,500 miles.
Checking the oil regularly is important as all engines use some oil in the course of normal operation. There are many factors that can affect oil consumption. Checking the oil at least once a month is good practice and once a week is better practice. If you are not having your oil changed every 3,750 miles the chances are high that a quart of oil will need to be added at some point. Keep in mind that as the oil level in the engine drops the oil has to work harder so it gets hotter and its level drops faster. Stop by our Subaru Service Department during regular business hours and we will be glad to check your oil for you. You can give us a call at 401-769-1199 or you can email us. Below are some links you might find useful.
Make a service appointment Directions to Anchor Subaru New Inventory Used inventory